The other day, a friend at uni complimented my skin and asked how I maintain it and keep it smooth. I didn’t expect her to ask me and the first thing that came to mind, which I also said, was “Water! Drink lots and lots of water!” When I came home, I reflected on my response in the shower and realised that I do a bit more than drink bucket loads of water. So here I thought I might share with you my facial skin care routine.
I’ve modified this routine from trying different products and watching YouTube Skin Care Routine videos as well as “Get Ready with Me” videos. I have a limited budget so I use affordable and products you can find at the grocery store or local chemist. I don’t use high end products nor do I own a Clarisonic so I hope you can take something away from this post. This affordable routine works for me and I hope that it somewhat helps you.
N.B. Kiehl’s products are considered high end products but the only product I’ve physically purchased is the Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream which I talked about HERE. As for the Kiehl’s Cream Eye Treatment with Avocado and Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate, I received as samples. FYI you can get free samples from the Kiehl’s station situated in Myer.
So that you are aware, here’s a bit about my skin:
- I have combination and sensitive skin.
- I don’t use very much makeup – mainly just eyeliner and mascara with the occasional BB cream.
- I’ve had eczema since I was a kid which is why many products don’t work on my skin.
So my morning routine is always the same but my night time routine changes depending on if I do or don’t wear make-up during the day.
At the end of the day, this is my normal routine:
- If I am wearing make-up that day I use Swisspers Green Tea Calming Facial Cleansing Wipes to remove the make-up.
- I then hop in the shower and exfoliate using St Ives Green Tea Scrub and cleanse with Aveeno Positively Radiant Brightening Cleanser.
- If I feel like I am about to breakout or I am procrastinating, I do a mask using the Formula 10.0.6 Keep Your Cool Breakout Calming Mask (as to whether this product works is yet to be determined).
- Normally if I have exfoliated, I will use a toner. The toner I am currently using is L’Oreal Paris Age Perfect Anti-Fatigue Toning Lotion (also another product I have no idea works or not).
- I then dab the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentration all over my face focusing on my cheeks and steering away from my oily areas – the T zone.
- Finally, I use Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado for my under eye area and Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream.
Just keep in mind that I don’t always follow this to the book as sometimes I get lazy, but I do try to stick with it!